THE RICHMOND STORY
* To provide an inspiring environment where a culture of ambition promotes rugby excellence, enjoyment and friendship
* To ensure the Club is fully self-funding and remains one of the top 30 clubs in England. Richmond Men have been playing in the Championship since 2016/17, and Richmond Women play in the Tyrrells Premier 15s League.
* Richmond Football Club (RFC) is ambitious and strives to be the best community rugby club in the UK, offering first-class, well-coached and medically well-supervised rugby opportunities for all - both sexes and all ages – five Senior Men’s XVs, one Students/U21 XV, one Colts XV, one Veteran’s XV (the ‘Heavies’), two Women’s XVs and Youth and Mini rugby for nearly 600 boys and girls. All this within a friendly environment, offering great networking opportunities, both social and commercial.
- * Formed in 1861, the second oldest club in England
* World’s first inter-club fixture against Blackheath in 1864
* One of the eight founder clubs of the RFU in 1871
* Hosted first experimental floodlit game in 1878
* Played at the Richmond Athletic Ground since 1889
* Played the first All Black touring side in 1905
* Played in the first game at Twickenham in 190
* Celebrated 100th Anniversary with a match at Twickenham against RFU presidents XV in 1961
* The first Women’s International match played at Richmond 1986
* One of the first clubs to go professional in 1996
* Promotion to premiership 1997/8 season
* Celebrated its 150th Anniversary with a match against the Barbarians in 2011
- * 126 men and over 100 women have been capped for their country whilst playing at Richmond.
* A touring club – from throughout the Club teams have toured to South Africa, Australia, East Africa, USA, South East Asia, Fiji, Paraguay, Brazil, Argentina, France, Canada and Italy.
* Affiliated Clubs – Collegians in Durban, Hamiltons and Villagers in Cape Town, Warringah Rats in Sydney plus 7 others in Argentina, Jersey, Canada, Kenya, France, USA and HMS Richmond
* Resulting from this touring culture, a natural club for long term visitors to the UK from countries such as South Africa, Australia and New Zealand
- * One of the largest clubs in the UK with over 2700 members
* A broadly based community club providing competitive and well coached rugby to both sexes and all ages – 5 Senior Men’s XVs, excluding 1 Students Under 21 XV, 1 Colts XV, 1 Veterans XV (Richmond Heavies), and in addition 3 Women’s XVs and Youth & Mini rugby for over 600 boys and girls
* Great networking opportunities, both social and commercial
The Fight Back
- * The Club went into Administration in 1999 as a result of the financial strains of the professional era playing in the Premiership and the reduction of the league from 14 clubs to 12 clubs
* A financial rescue was successful in bringing the Club out of Administration and onto a sound financial footing, so preserving its traditional home venue with 7 full sized pitches which it shares with long time co-tenant London Scottish
* For the 1999/2000 season, at the request of the RFU, Richmond took a sabbatical from the leagues and played a variety of ‘friendlies’
* BBC London Team of the Year 2004 (All non-professional Sports)
* Winners of 6 Surrey Cups between 2001 to 2007
* Richmond Women won the premiership in 2010/11/12/14/16, playing in the first televised club play off final, and also the first Tyrells Sky televised game.
* Re introduced at level 9 in 2000/1 from which the 1st XV gained promotion four years running by winning their league and winning 83 league games in succession – a National record. Promoted to London 1 (level 5) in 2004/5 just below the national leagues finishing 3rd/2nd/4th and league winners in 2007/8 being promoted to National 2 South, finishing 4th in 2009 and 3rd in 2010/11, being promoted to National 1 in 2012, finishing 7th out of 16 in 2013/14 & 2014/15, winning the league in 2016 and were promoted to the Championship.
* Richmond Rugby CLG formed and acquires 100% of the shares in the rescue company RVL in March 2015 to secure the future ownership of the Richmond group of companies.
* Richmond FC awarded RFU Club of the Year for 2016.
Like what you read? Click here for membership information. See you at the Athletic Ground..